Gelatin is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, extracted from beef skin. Ambrosia’s packaged gelatin has nothing added to it. It may be used in foods as a gelling agent, thickener, emulsifier, binder, foaming agent and glaze. Granular gelatin requires hydration in cold water before it will disperse readily in hot liquid.
Instructions: Disperse one tablespoon of gelatin in one pint of cold water before adding it to recipes.
Shelf Life: 18 months
Substitutes: Vegetarian replacements for gelatin powder are guar gum and agar-agar
Gelatin powder can be used as a:
- Thickener in powdered drink mixes, gravies, sauces, puddings, jellies, dairy products etc.
- Process aid in the micro encapsulation of colours, flavours, oil and vitamins
- Emulsifier in cream soups, sauces, whipped cream, confectionary, dairy products, etc.
- Stabilizer in cream cheese, chocolate milk, yogurt, icings, cream fillings, and frozen desserts.
- Film former for coating fruits, meats and deli items
- Adhesive agent to affix nonpareils, coconut, and other items to confections
- Bonding agent to layered confections, to bond frosting to baked goods, and to bond seasonings to meat products